Troubleshooting and Knowledge Base

Q. How do you recommend I best protect my sensor from prolonged use?

Q. How do you recommend I best protect my sensor from prolonged use?

A. There are a couple things that can be done to minimize a variety of potential failures.

Powered USB hub-
Typically, the longer the cabling to the sensor head, the less power that gets there to utilize proper function. Prolonged use with sub-optimal voltages/amperages can cause damage to the circuitry with time. TO minimize this, any sensor of ours using more than 3ft of extension we recommend using a Powered USB Hub. Please see this link for an example. (This is not an endorsement for a particular brand). Hub must be independently powered by its own power adapter, and have a connection to the computer.

Cable Protector-
Points of tension and bending will eventually lead to breaks inside the cable, causing shorts and erratic connection. To prevent this, we recommend using a structural Cable Protector that can alleviate usage over a larger span of cable to minimize the chances breaking in one pinch-point. The following are suitable examples, be we encourage you to shop based on your own needs.
Concentrated Protection
Full Cable Protection

USB Extension block-
Repetitive un-plugging and re-plugging of a sensor could lead to damaged contacts on the USB cable of your sensor, and cost both time and money to repair. A cheap solution to mitigate this risk is to acquire a USB extension block or a short USB extension cable to serve as the primary connector for your sensor. To act as a replaceable layer of protection over time.
Short Extension
Extension Block / Adapter
(This is not an endorsement for a particular brand)

Cleaning / Storing  Procedure-
Sensors do have a tight structure, however, avoiding liquid contact is still recommended (including wipes). Prolonged usage of liquids may result in degradation of the case, or a potential infiltration should the case not be tightly sealed. Sensors are not waterproof. Using a cover for your sensor when storing and using will mitigate possible internal corrosion and or liquid damage. In addition, your sensor should be stored in a cool and dry environment. Avoid placing in direct sunlight or in areas with high humidity or warmth.

Additional Info:
The average life span of a sensor is 3-5 years.
With high wear and abuse, they can fail within 2 years.
With proper care and handling, they can operate for 7yrs and beyond.

Sincerely, Triston Hughes Technical Support VIDEO DENTAL CONCEPTS 100 E Granada Dr #219 Ormond Beach, FL 32176 (800) 323-2690